Door-to-door and telemarketing sales
- Sometimes you don’t have the time you need to think about things you buy from sales people who contact you at home, whether on the phone or at your door.
- The Fair Trading Act gives you the right to think about your purchase and cancel it within 5 working days.
- The salesperson must give you a written copy of the agreement when you entered into it (if it is made over the phone, then you must receive it in writing within 5 working days). They must also tell you about your right to cancel the agreement.
- The agreement must be in plain language, legible and presented clearly.
- The front page of the agreement must have a clear description of the goods or services, full contact details for the supplier, a summary of your right to cancel and your name and address.
- The agreement must also include the date and total price to be paid.
- Remember you have the right to say no to the offer, if you don’t understand what the salesperson is proposing or feel pressured, don’t agree to anything.
- For more information see the door-to-door and telemarketing sales fact sheet.